"Double Life" as written by and Ric Ocasek....

Lyrics submitted by SongMeanings

Double Life song meanings
Add your thoughts

2 Comments

sort form View by:
  • 0
    My InterpretationIt took me a while to figure out what these lyrics specifically meant. Sure, it was about cheating on your spouse, but I thought for the longest Ocasek was just plugging in whatever rhymed. Not true, these are excellent, though somewhat cryptic lyrics that I will help you interpret.

    In summary, 90% of this song is about providing advice to the woman he is about to have the affair with. Warnings, about what life will be life. The other 10% he speaks to the listener about himself. I will identify the latter.

    It takes a fast car lady to lead a double life
    >Time is short, and you are going to have to drive fast.
    It takes a slow star lady if you want to do it twice
    >If you want to make it a deuce we are going to need more time.
    You take your backseat rumble
    Take your front seat wife
    Takes a fast car lady to lead a double life
    >Identifies that you will have a double life...more on how to act later.

    It takes a light foot lady to lead a double life
    > Advice that the lady needs to act like she always does when not with hiim
    It takes a good book maybe if you want to do it nice
    > Read up on romantic lovemaking with your husband, and don't take your nasty sex home.
    When you idle at the stop light you better get the signal right
    > Again, don't change your behavior at home.
    Light foot lady, you need a double life

    Well, lift me from the wonder maze
    >This is where Ric is talking to the audience..."get me out of this craziness!"
    Alienation is the craze
    >Could be Ric talking to audience or his woman. Either way, "People will discover us, and when they do, they will alienate us."

    And it's all gonna happen to you
    You think it's a phase
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    When you drive in the haze
    > Ric's message to his woman. Pretty obvious, when you go down this route this is going to happen.

    It takes a freeway lady to lead a double life
    > Again, drive fast
    It takes some leeway lady if you want to do it twice
    > We are going to need to make some time for a deuce.
    Neon blinking on the street
    >Obvious
    Everyone is bittersweet
    >The bitter part goes with the alienation. The sweet part goes with the love and sex.
    Freeway lady, you lead a double life
    >Obvious
    Well, lift me from the wonder maze
    Alienation is the craze
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    You think it's a phase
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    When you drive in the haze
    It's all gonna happen to you
    (It's all gonna happen to you)
    That's right I said
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    That's right well
    Gonna? say it to you
    (It's all gonna happen to you)
    Well that's right oh?
    It's all gonna happen to you, well
    I said it's all gonna happen to you yeah
    Gonna tell ya again, I said
    (It's all gonna happen to you) well...

    Edit Lyrics
    pylom33769on November 07, 2016   Link
  • 0
    My InterpretationIt took me a while to figure out what these lyrics specifically meant. Sure, it was about cheating on your spouse, but I thought for the longest Ocasek was just plugging in whatever rhymed. Not true, these are excellent, though somewhat cryptic lyrics that I will help you interpret.

    In summary, 90% of this song is about providing advice to the woman he is about to have the affair with. Warnings, about what life will be life. The other 10% he speaks to the listener about himself. I will identify the latter.

    It takes a fast car lady to lead a double life
    >Time is short, and you are going to have to drive fast.
    It takes a slow star lady if you want to do it twice
    >If you want to make it a deuce we are going to need more time.
    You take your backseat rumble
    Take your front seat wife
    Takes a fast car lady to lead a double life
    >Identifies that you will have a double life...more on how to act later.

    It takes a light foot lady to lead a double life
    > Advice that the lady needs to act like she always does when not with hiim
    It takes a good book maybe if you want to do it nice
    > Read up on romantic lovemaking with your husband, and don't take your nasty sex home.
    When you idle at the stop light you better get the signal right
    > Again, don't change your behavior at home.
    Light foot lady, you need a double life

    Well, lift me from the wonder maze
    >This is where Ric is talking to the audience..."get me out of this craziness!"
    Alienation is the craze
    >Could be Ric talking to audience or his woman. Either way, "People will discover us, and when they do, they will alienate us."

    And it's all gonna happen to you
    You think it's a phase
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    When you drive in the haze
    > Ric's message to his woman. Pretty obvious, when you go down this route this is going to happen.

    It takes a freeway lady to lead a double life
    > Again, drive fast
    It takes some leeway lady if you want to do it twice
    > We are going to need to make some time for a deuce.
    Neon blinking on the street
    >Obvious
    Everyone is bittersweet
    >The bitter part goes with the alienation. The sweet part goes with the love and sex.
    Freeway lady, you lead a double life
    >Obvious
    Well, lift me from the wonder maze
    Alienation is the craze
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    You think it's a phase
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    When you drive in the haze
    It's all gonna happen to you
    (It's all gonna happen to you)
    That's right I said
    And it's all gonna happen to you
    That's right well
    Gonna? say it to you
    (It's all gonna happen to you)
    Well that's right oh?
    It's all gonna happen to you, well
    I said it's all gonna happen to you yeah
    Gonna tell ya again, I said
    (It's all gonna happen to you) well...

    Edit Lyrics
    pylom33769on November 07, 2016   Link

Add your thoughts

Log in now to tell us what you think this song means.

Don’t have an account? Create an account with SongMeanings to post comments, submit lyrics, and more. It’s super easy, we promise!

Back to top
explain